During pregnancy, a woman has to bear the discomfort of certain types due to the biological changes in her body. As the pregnancy enters its seventh month, most of the women experience the issue of restless sleep due to their heavy belly.
They are not able to rest their belly in any particular position which leads them to stay awake throughout the night.
Even though recommended by their doctors, most of the women feel confused about investing money in a common pillow because of the question that, are Maternity body pillows good for pregnancy or not.
The fact that pregnancy sleeping pillow is used only during the last four month of the pregnancy compels most of the women to get a second-hand pregnancy pillow for their body.
If you are also thinking about getting a second-hand pregnancy pillow then we would strongly forbid you to do this because not every pregnancy pillow is suitable for each body type.
Top 2 Best Maternity Pillows
Which pregnancy pillow is best for your body type?
In order to learn that what is the best body pillow for pregnancy, you must first learn about the sizes, shapes, pros, and cons of different pregnancy pillows.
The Wedge Pillow for Pregnancy
If you are looking for something simple, cheap and long-lasting then pregnancy wedge pillow is a perfect choice for you. Just like its name, the pregnancy wedge pillow possesses the shape of a wedge due to which it can also be used after the pregnancy.
It is also quite easy to use as it provides support to your pregnant body after sliding under the belly. Not only under the tummy but pregnancy wedge pillow can also be used in various other positions such as
- at the back of your body while sitting on a chair, bed or sofa
- as a regular pillow while sleeping if you want to keep your head high and
- under the feet, if you want to get rid of that pregnancy foot swelling
There are also some of the cases when women use the wedge pillows in order to support their heating pads or heating bottles.
Types of Pregnancy Wedge Pillow
There are two different types of pregnancy wedge pillows available in the market:
- Triangular Pregnancy wedge pillow
- Semi-round pregnancy wedge pillow
The triangular pregnancy wedge pillow looks just like a TV screen while the semi-round pregnancy wedge pillow seems as if it is a half moon.
Benefits of Sleeping with a Pregnancy Wedge Pillow
If you are thinking that pregnancy wedge pillow is just a simple pregnancy pillow then think again because it possesses lots of benefits that will compel you to think about purchasing it for your pregnancy.
- Pregnancy wedge pillow is usually smaller in size in comparison to the other types of pregnancy pillows. As a result of its smaller size, your partner can also sleep in the same bed.
- This pillow support pillow also comes in handy while traveling in a car as it can easily fit inside the car seat.
- This pillow is cheaper in comparison to other pillows.
- The wedge pillow can be used even after the pregnancy especially during the maternity duration.
The Drawbacks of using a Pregnancy Wedge Pillow
The biggest drawback of using a pregnancy wedge pillow is that you will still have to use another pillow to support your head because pregnancy wedge pillow supports only a small area of your belly.
Body length Pregnancy Pillow
The body length pregnancy support pillow is long enough to cover the entire length of your body. However, the shape of this pillow is straight as a line.
These pregnancy pillows are really helpful as they provide support to your belly and you can also cuddle with them. If you have to support one side of your body with multiple pillows then this body length pregnancy pillow will prove to be a great asset for you as it will single-handedly support the entire side of your body.
You will feel much relaxed by using this single pregnancy pillow instead of using multiple pillows to support your body as they will move out of the place and disturb your sleep.
Types of body length pregnancy pillow
There are two types of body length pregnancy pillows available in the market:
- Straight body length pregnancy pillow
- Flexible body length pregnancy pillow
The straight body length pregnancy sleeping pillow seems like the longer version of a regular pillow whereas, the flexible body length pregnancy pillow seems like a longer version of a flexible punching bag.
Straight body length pregnancy pillow vs. Flexible body length pregnancy pillow
If you feel confusion while making a selection of the straight body length pregnancy pillow and the flexible body length pregnancy pillow then we would suggest you consider the basic features of both of the pillow types.
The straight body length pregnancy pillow does not bend so it won’t be able to support your head while supporting your body.
On the other hand, the flexible body length pillows are filled with micro-beads due to which they can easily take whichever shape the user requires.
So if you want a body length pillow that supports your belly while also supporting your head then flexible body length pregnancy sleeping pillow will be a great choice for you.
Benefits of using the body length pregnancy pillow
There are certain benefits of using the body length pregnancy pillow:
- It is quite easy to use.
- It easily supports your belly and head at the same time.
- You won’t require any extra pillows to support your body while using the body length pregnancy pillow.
The drawbacks of using the body length pregnancy pillow
Where there are a few benefits of using the body length pregnancy pillow, this pillow also possesses certain drawbacks such as:
- It does not provide back support during sleep.
- It occupies a lot of space on the bed.
Complete Body Pregnancy Pillows
This type of pregnancy pillows is quite amazing as it wraps around the shape of your pregnant body.
These pillows are quite huge, big enough to cover the size of a human body. Most of these pillows are almost 5 to 6 feet long due to which an average size human can easily curl up inside them.
If you are looking for some best body pillows for pregnancy then complete body pregnancy pillows are perfect for you as they not only support the pregnancy belly but can also provide complete support to your back.
So if you are suffering from back pain due to the weight of your pregnancy belly then you must definitely invest in these pillows.
Types of complete body pregnancy pillows
There are two different types of complete body pregnancy pillows available in the market:
- U-shaped pregnancy pillow
- C-shaped pregnancy pillow
Just like their names, the U-shaped pregnancy pillow looks a large “U” whereas, the C-shaped pregnancy pillow looks like a huge “C”.
Difference between the C-shaped pregnancy pillow and U-shaped pregnancy pillow
C-shaped body pillow starts from under your head, moves around your back and ends up under your belly after passing through your legs.
So you can say that it is a perfect pillow if you want something to support your head, back, and legs at the same time. The U-shaped pillow is completely different as it provides complete support to the belly, back, head and the legs by moving around the body. If you love to hug a pillow while sleeping then this pillow is the perfect one for you.
The benefits of complete body pregnancy pillow
There are certain benefits that you will experience while using the complete body pregnancy sleeping pillow:
- It provides powerful support to the entire body
- You don’t need to use multiple pillows
- Provides extra comfort to the entire body
The drawbacks of using a complete body pregnancy pillow
- They are quite huge in size due to which cover up most of the area on the bed.
- The price is quite high.
Things to keep in mind while purchasing a pregnancy pillow
Now that you have known about different types of pregnancy pillows, next task involves taking the decision that which one of them is the most suitable for you. In order to find the perfect fit for your pregnant body, there are certain things that you must keep in mind:
- First of all, you must keep in mind that how are going to keep your pregnancy sleeping pillow
Most of the pregnancy pillows come with removable covers so keeping them clean is not a difficult task but there are also some of the pregnancy pillows that come with irremovable covers.
In such an instance, keeping them clean will be a difficult task and having a dirty pillow around your body can make you prone to various allergies and skin infections.
- Next, you should analyze the filling that is used inside your pregnancy pillow.
Some of the pillows are filled with Styrofoam balls. The Styrofoam balls are quite cheap and can easily adapt to the shape of your body but they might disturb your sleep as they make noise when the pillow is moved around.
Some of the pillows are filled with polyester fiber which is quite soft and fluffy. Most of the pillows these days are filled with polyester fiber.
However, the issue with this filling is that it is not breathable. Apart from these fillings, the pregnancy pillows also come with micro-bead filling, memory foam filling, and organic filling.
- You must also find out whether your pillow is hypoallergenic or not.
It mostly depends on the fabric that is used to cover the pillow and the material that is used inside the pillow. Some of the fillings can cause allergies but some won’t.
If you have asthma then you must specifically work-out on this point, otherwise, your pregnancy support pillow will become a headache for you.
- You must also consider the size of your pregnancy pillow in proportion to your bed.
Some women prefer small-sized pillows perched against their pregnant bodies while some of the women like a complete-body sized pregnancy pillow.
- The softness level of the pillow is another point that you must consider while purchasing the pillow.
At this point, we would suggest you go with the Goldilock softness test. Just press different pregnancy pillows and choose the one that is neither too soft nor too hard.
Your pillow must be soft but not too soft otherwise it won’t be able to provide a support to your pregnant belly.
- Another thing that you must keep in mind is to keep track of those parts of your body that get sore due to pregnancy so you can get the appropriate pregnancy pillow.
If you just want a pillow to support your belly then its best to get a wedge pregnancy pillow. But if you want a pillow that not only supports your head, back, feet and belly then its best to get a C-shaped complete body pillow.
Reviews for Best Body Pillows for pregnancy
If you still feel confused after reading all the considerations for the perfect pregnancy pillow then here are some of the best body pillows for pregnancy reviews to help you make the accurate choice:
Puredown C Shaped Maternity/Pregnancy Contoured Body Pillow with Zippered Cover, 27″x56″, Beige
If you are looking for one perfect pillow that can support your head, neck, back, feet and the belly then this Puredown C shaped Maternity Contoured Body Pillow with Zippered Cover is the best thing for you. Available in beige color, the cover of this pregnancy support pillow can easily be removed for washing if it gets dirty.
- It can provide complete support for your back while you are sitting.
- The biggest benefit of this C shaped pregnancy pillow is its ergonomic design that can easily settle around the contours of your pregnant body.
- This pillow comes with 100% polyester premium filling which provides you with a soft and fluffy feeling while lying on this pillow.
- This pillow is quite huge in size and covers a large area of the bed.
- The price is high.
Relax Home Life – Foam Bed Wedge Bamboo Pillow With 1.5″ Memory Foam Topper and Stay Cool Removable Cover (26″W x 25″L x 7.5″H)
If you don’t like large-sized pregnancy sleeping pillow then this Relax Home Life-Foam Bed Wedge Bamboo Pillow is a perfect choice for you. There are hundreds of different wedge pillows available in the market but this one seems better than all of them as it provides relief from various pregnancy issues such as snoring, back pain, shoulder pain, neck pain, morning sickness and acid reflux. This wedge pillow contains two-layered design that ensures maximum comfort level.
- The best thing about this wedge pillow is that it adapts to the body size in any way that is required.
- This pillow is hypoallergenic so you won’t have to worry about getting any allergies.
- The pillow cover can easily be removed and washed in the machine.
- The pillow contains breathable cover and filling.
- It is dust mite resistant.
- Bamboo keeps the body cool and comfortable throughout the night.
- You might have to use multiple pillows if you also require support in the other parts of the body such as back, neck, and feet.
Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Combination Shredded Memory Foam Full Body Pillow With Kool-Flow Breathable Cooling Hypoallergenic Pillow Cover
If you want a full-length body pillow that can support your one entire side of the body then this Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Combination Shredded Memory Foam Full Body Pillow is the perfect thing for your pregnancy. We have personally tried and tested this pregnancy support pillow and it has proved to be the best in every aspect of life. This snuggly pillow contains bamboo due to which you will feel cool throughout the night.
- It has been created from eco-friendly material.
- It is completely hypoallergenic so it doesn’t cause any allergies.
- It is dust mite resistant.
- It can easily adapt according to the shape of the body due to its highly flexible filling.
- It is not suitable if you want a pillow that not only supports your belly but also your back.
- It is expensive.
U Shaped Maternity Pregnancy Body Pillow With Zipper Removable Cover, 100% Cotton Fabric, Blue&Pink
If you are looking for something that wraps around your entire body then just check out this U shaped Maternity Pregnancy Body Pillow with Zipper Removable Cover and you will definitely go “WOW”. Designed from soft and synthetic fabric, this U shaped pillow is specifically created to keep your entire body relaxed and comfortable.
- It offers high-level comfort.
- It comes with polyfill material which is eco-friendly.
- It is hypoallergenic.
- It comes with an easily removable zipper-cover.
- The fabric is easy to wash.
- It provides special support to your back when you are sitting up.
- It is expensive in comparison to other pregnancy sleeping pillows.
- It takes up most of the area on the bed.
FAQs for Pregnancy Pillows
What is the use of a pregnancy pillow?
The pregnancy pillow is used to provide special support to your pregnancy body throughout the pregnancy. It is quite useful during the last three to four months of the pregnancy when your back is aching due to the weight of your protruding belly.
The pregnancy pillow helps you sleep comfortably at night by supporting your belly, back, head, legs, and feet.
Is pregnancy pillow different from body pillow or are they the same?
Pregnancy pillows can easily adapt to the changing shape and size of your body whereas, body pillows are simply straight and long.
Most of the women prefer to use pregnancy pillows but some of the women just like to hug something straight at night so they go for a body pillow.
How can I tell if I need a pregnancy pillow or not?
Some women feel extremely confused whether they need a pregnancy pillow or not. If you are also feeling this confusion then here are some points that might help you determine whether you need a pregnancy pillow and if yes then which sort of pillow you should go for.
- If you have started using multiple pillows to support different parts of your body then it means that you need to get a proper pregnancy pillow as soon as possible.
- If you stay awake all night due to pain in the lower belly, back pain, pain in the shoulders and hip pain then its best to get a U-shaped pregnancy support pillow.
- If you feel pain that starts from either side of your hip and moves down your leg then it means that you are suffering from Sciatica.
- If you feel compelled to sleep on your tummy or like to sleep on your back during the last three months of the pregnancy then its best to get a body-length pregnancy pillow to support your body.
Why can’t I use a regular pillow instead of pregnancy pillow?
Because you might not able to feel the taste of an apple by eating an orange.
Regular pillows are good for sleeping but they are not strong enough to support your heavy body during the last few months of the pregnancy.
Regular pillows are also not flexible enough to adapt to the changing shape of your body. Another issue is that they don’t settle in one place, due to their small size and slippery fabric they move around the bed.
Some of the women do find regular pillows useful during the pregnancy but the majority of the women search for something that is more strong and flexible.