Diapers, changing diapers and it’s all about diapers.
That is life for the first year or so of newborns, and making sure your little one’s bum stays clean and dry is important to keep her comfortable and prevent diaper rash.
- 0.1 Best Diaper Changing Table Under $150
- 0.2 The Alternative: Best Infant Diaper Changing Pad
- 0.2.0.1Best Changing pad for Diaper Bag
- 0.2.0.2 – Summer Infant Quickchange Portable Changing Pad, Black
- 0.2.0.3Best Changing Pad for Travel
- 0.2.0.4 – Anvy & Me Diaper Changing Clutch with Changing Pad for Baby Infants and Toddlers, Portable Changing Station Nursery Travel Accessories. (Parquet Ways)
- 0.2.0.5Best Portable Changing Pad
- 0.2.0.6 – Skip Hop Pronto Signature Portable Changing Mat, Cushioned Diaper Changing Pad with Built-In Pillow
- 1 Best Baby Changing Pad for top of dresser
- 1.1 Best Changing Pad for Infant: baby changing pad for top of dresser
- 1.2 Best Organic Baby Changing pad
- 1.3 Best Value Organic Baby Changing pad
- 1.4 Nonstandard sized changing pads
- 1.4.1 Keekaroo Peanut Changer – Baby Changing Pad 32 x 17
- 1.4.2 LA Baby Waterproof Changing Pad – Baby Changing Pad 30 x 16 Baby changing pad 29.5 x 16
- 1.4.3 Rumble Tuff Contour Changing Pad – Baby Changing Pad 29 x 17 Baby changing pad 28 x 16 Baby changing pad 29 x 17
- 1.4.4 Bumbo Changing Pad – Baby Changing Pad 27 x 17
- 1.4.5 AFG Athena Daphne Kimberly Nursery Convertible Crib Baby Changing Pad – 27.5 X 15.5 Baby changing pad 28 x 16 Baby changing pad 27 x 15
- 1.4.6 Babies R Us Bassinet Pad – Baby Changing Pad 27 x 14
- 1.5 Best Disposable Changing Pad
Thankfully, it starts to slow down thereafter.
To have a better experience, you either need a diaper changing table or a diaper changing pad.
The problem is, there are so many different styles and brands to choose from for your situation, and to make it worst your diaper changing pad might not fit your changing table, dresser or custom made furniture.
No worries, for that is where this blog comes in.
|Rankings||Image & Product Name||Size (inch)||Price|
Summer Infant 4-Sided Changing Pad Baby
|32 x 16||Buy On Amazon|
Oeuf Pure and Simple Contoured Changing Pad
|32.5 x 16||Buy On Amazon|
Naturepedic Organic Cotton Changing Pad
|31.5 x 16.5||Buy On Amazon|
Keekaroo Peanut Changer
|32 x 17||Buy On Amazon|
LA Baby Waterproof Changing Pad
|30 x 16||Buy On Amazon|
Bumbo Changing Pad
|27 x 17||Buy On Amazon|
Rumble Tuff Contour Changing Pad
|29 x 17||Buy On Amazon|
Babies R Us Bassinet Pad by Summer Infant
|27 x 14||Buy On Amazon|
AFG Athena Daphne Kimberly Nursery Convertible Crib Changing Pad
|27.5 x 15.5||Buy On Amazon|
NorthShore Premium Changing Pads
|24 x 17|
36 x 23
|Buy On Amazon|
Why should I get a baby changing pad?
Changing tables are a complete “ no”, “no” for the parents who have a congested nursery.
Thinking about stuffing your baby’s room with a huge table just for the sake of changing your baby’s diaper doesn’t seem like a sane idea to most of the parents.
But the issue is that without the presence of a baby changing table in the room, changing the baby’s diaper would turn into a complete nightmare.
So if you are worried about the little space in your baby’s nursery but want to get a baby changing table at the same time then baby changing pad would be a wise choice for you.
Baby Changing Table Vs Baby Changing Pad – Which is better?
Although both of the items are used for the same purpose still there is a huge difference between both of them. If you are feeling confused about making the choice between them then let me tell you my personal experience about both of them.
I hope that my experience will help you make a wise choice.
When I was expecting my first child, just like all the other first time would-be mothers, I was really driven about fulfilling each of my baby’s needs.
So when I heard about this baby changing table thing, I instantly bought one for my baby. I neatly placed it beside my baby’s cot and to tell you the truth it proved to be a really useful thing for me.
I used to stack all of my baby items in the shelves underneath the changing table and used to change my baby’s diaper on the top-most surface.
Although the table was quite expensive, it did help me change my baby’s diapers comfortably for three long years. After two years, the table became useless for us as my baby was not able to fit on the top of the table due to his size and the table nuts were coming off.
Soon, I became pregnant with my second child and this time, I refrained from investing money in a second baby changing table.
Almost a month before the birth of my second child, my mother advised me to get a baby changing pad instead of getting a huge table.
So this time, I thought about giving the baby changing pad a try and I was quite amazed at the results.
The biggest benefit of using a changing pad on the dresser is that my baby was able to use it even after the age of three. After getting the baby changing pad, we also felt relieved as the baby’s nursery looked more spacious than ever.
Points to keep in mind
So here are some points you need to keep in mind if you are thinking about purchasing the baby changing table:
- It is convenient and useful, as well as a way to stay organized. It will be your central ‘baby changing battle station’ with your tools of trade right beside you.
- Changing diapers around the clock can take a toll on your body especially when you’re tall. A good diaper changing table will help ease your back and knee a lot.
- Great for storage as they are essentially a drawer. Besides storing diapers and diapering supplies, you can store clothes, toys and etc. A lot of parents chose diaper changing table because of this extra functionality.
- You might not find any bargains, they are expensive.
- Diaper changing table is large, you need to have a nursery room or large space to store it.
And if you are thinking about going for the baby changing pad then you must keep in mind that:
The Benefits of Baby Changing Pad
- You can get more room to adjust other necessary furniture in the baby’s nursery.
- There won’t be a fear of your child outgrowing the dresser which is a common issue when you are using the baby changing table.
- It’s a portable thing, you can use it anywhere, at any place. Even if you are on a trip or a picnic, you can easily change your baby’s diaper.
- These pads are much more secure for your baby as you can also change your baby’s diaper by placing the pad on the floor. This is a more secure approach if your baby has started crawling over. Changing the diaper of a crawling baby becomes dangerous if you are using the baby changing table.
- You might have to bend a little more while you are changing your baby’s diaper on the baby changing pad in comparison to the baby changing table.
- It proves to be inconvenient for all those parents who have a habit of stacking all the things at one place. With the baby changing table, you can easily arrange your baby supplies inside the lower shelves or drawers but if you are using a baby changing pad then you cannot do this.
Best Diaper Changing Table Under $150
Our best recommendation is Athena Leila 2 Drawer Changer, White, the top fits a standard size 16 x 32 inch changing pad, I suggest Summer Infant Contoured Changing Padwhich is of good value and a good fit with the drawer changer.
Athena Leila 2 Drawer Changer weighs 70 lbs, is made of solid wood with dimension 34 x 55 x 42 inches.
You will not be able to find something this high quality at this price easily.
The Alternative: Best Infant Diaper Changing Pad
A most cost-effective solution will be a diaper changing pad that simply sits on top of any of your existing furniture. It is functional when after the diaper phase has ended, you can replace the diaper changing pad without having extra furniture in a small room.
The limitation is the size of diaper changing pad that will fit your dresser, table or other furniture.
Well, I have trouble finding diaper changing pad to fit my custom size dresser previously.
To share with others who have an issue with custom size dresser, we have come out with few recommendations. So do read on.
There are different types of diaper changing pads, standard diaper pad, travel diaper changing pad, diaper changing kit and disposable diaper changing pad.
Inexpensive, waterproof and lightweight
– Anvy & Me Diaper Changing Clutch with Changing Pad for Baby Infants and Toddlers, Portable Changing Station Nursery Travel Accessories. (Parquet Ways)
Handle for easy carrying with its compact size yet able to hold everything you need for the diaper change and won’t stain easily.
– Skip Hop Pronto Signature Portable Changing Mat, Cushioned Diaper Changing Pad with Built-In Pillow
Stylish with a sturdy pad that can fit smaller size diaper bags
Above are our best recommendation for travel diaper changing pad, diaper changing kit and diaper changing pad for the diaper bag.
You can click the above text links for their Best Prices.
Best Baby Changing Pad for top of dresser
Best baby changing pad for the top of dresser, table or another piece of furniture.
Below you will find a detailed guide to everything you ever need to know about baby changing pads.
How to choose a Diaper Changing pad: Features to look for
Flat vs Curved
Get a curved top to help keep your baby in the center of the changing pad, depending on your dresser or table, the flat top might be more suitable.
Easy to clean
There will be spillage, tons of poops and pee, no matter how careful you are, a baby will fuss and wiggle around. Since spillage is unavoidable, you might want your diaper changing pad to be waterproof and easy to clean.
Changing pad cover
The changing pad cover protects the diaper pad from spillage as they are absorbed into the sheet, you simply throw the cover through the wash, once you have changed the diapers. You can keep a few diaper changing covers on hand to prepare for the next diaper change.
A waterproof surface will prevent the spills from soaking into the infant changing pad.
Does your Diaper Changing pad fit your changing drawer, changing table or changing piece of furniture?
You will need to measure the dimension of the piece of furniture, to avoid getting a new changing pad that does not fit.
Examine the surface where you placed the infant changing pad
If the underside of your baby changing pad is smooth or slippery material, you might consider getting Velcro to attach a changing pad to the top of the dresser or furniture, those
Non-skid mats that are often used to prevent rugs from slipping on hard floors, you can cut the non-skid mat to fit the dresser and changing pad.
For me, I just put mine straight on top of the dresser. It works for us. You are supposed to keep a hand on baby at all times when they are there anyway.
Best Changing Pad for Infant: baby changing pad for top of dresser
The best changing pads for babies will have soft fabric that will not irritate their sensitive skin.
You will want a changing pad that will not feel cold on their backs because babies spend a lot of time sleeping.
You do not want them to wake up when they are sleeping because of a chilly changing pad.
Summer Infant 4-Sided Changing Pad Baby – Baby Changing Pad 32 x 16
Buy On Amazon
This changing pad has a standard size of 32 by 16 inches and will fit most changing dresser or table.
• Waterproof double layered vinyl
• Four contoured edges
• safety strap
• easy to clean
This diaper pad will definitely allow you to contain any spills; its double layer of vinyl is waterproof and prevents any liquid from soaking into the changing pad.
The raise four contoured side works together with the safety belt to prevent your baby wiggling off during diaper changing time. They do sell plush covers but personally, I don’t think they are necessary you can just wipe it clean with a rag.
There is non-skid backing on the bottom surface that will help minimize the sliding when you change your baby on the dresser, it is slightly sticky and helps to make it stay put on the dresser or table. It is hard to find other changing pads that can compete with this, in terms of pricing and features.
That is why this is our highly recommended changing pads and no surprise that it is also a popular item for new parents. I do see some parents use this to change diapers in the car too.
If you prefer one without four sides, Summer Infant does have the Summer Infant Contoured Changing Pad with the extra benefit of fitting most universal size changing pad covers.
Best Organic Baby Changing pad
Buy On Amazon
Naturepedic Organic Cotton Contoured Changing Pad – Baby Changing Pad 16.5 x 31.5
This changing pad is made of organic cotton filling, it provides firm support with a non-toxic support layer made from 100% food-grade polyethylene.
There are no vinyl, PVC, or phthalates; no polyurethane foam; no latex or wool, which will help eliminate potential latex allergenic concerns.
These changing pads are environmentally safe, comfy and in addition, provide security intended for your baby.
Best Value Organic Baby Changing pad
Buy On Amazon
Natural Contoured Changing Pad: Baby Changing Pad 16 x 32.5
Oeufs offers all the features of an organic diaper changing pad but at a lower price point.
Nonstandard sized changing pads
Buy On Amazon
Keekaroo Peanut Changer – Baby Changing Pad 32 x 17
The Keekaroo diaper changer is made in the United States.
Keekaroo is very confident in their changing pads’ potential to lasts that they offer a 5 year extended warranty. If perhaps you are planning on having more than one baby then this diaper changer pad certainly will go the distance.
This diaper changer pad does not absorb fluids.
Irrespective of its hard plastic-type material looks, the Keekaroo diaper changer pad is certainly soft to touch, this means that your baby will be comfortable with the diaper change. The surface is likewise nonslippery, which will help your wiggling baby to stay put.
LA Baby Waterproof Changing Pad – Baby Changing Pad 30 x 16 Baby changing pad 29.5 x 16
Buy On Amazon
LA Baby Waterproof 4 Sided Cocoon Style Changing Pad, 30″
LA Baby Waterproof Contour Changing Pad, 30″
It will fit your Ikea Hensvik changing table, it fits tightly on the sides of the changing top.
This changing pad includes a security strap that you can fasten if you want to use it on a dresser top. For added safety, it also has a non-skid bottom that will keep the pad from sliding off the dresser during diaper changes. The sides are 4-inches high to prevent rollovers.
The outside of the pad is waterproof, phthalate free, non-toxic, antimicrobial and you can easily wipe it clean with a washcloth. It has a buckle to keep your baby in place if she likes to move around during diaper changes.
It’s made in the U.S. if you like to support American-made products.
It is the right size for smaller spaces
It has two tabs with screws to secure it to the back of the changing table if needed
Vinyl cover and straps are not removable for wash
It slides easily when on a smooth wood surface.
For those who have a changing table with no rails, you can secure the pad to the back with the screws, it won’t slide off the table forward, but might tip backward if the back is not against a wall. Gluing a good rubber pad on the bottom might help.
Rumble Tuff Contour Changing Pad – Baby Changing Pad 29 x 17 Baby changing pad 28 x 16 Baby changing pad 29 x 17
Buy On Amazon
Do take note of whether The Rumble Tuff Contour Changing Pad is Standard or Compact as it is available in two sizes:
• Standard: 33″ x 17″ x 4″
• Compact: 29″ x 17″ x 4″
Bumbo Changing Pad – Baby Changing Pad 27 x 17
Buy On Amazon
The Bumbo changing pad is actually a soft and comfortable platform that provides maximum comfort and support while performing diaper changes.
It is specially designed especially with wiggly infants in mind featuring raised sides! There is even a small strap that ensures baby will remain in place throughout the entire changing.
The Bumbo changing mat is lightweight, can easily carry it around to every room in the home. This is the perfect size intended for newborns and small babies.
Perfect for those who wanted nothing to do with those foam changing pads and their covers.
AFG Athena Daphne Kimberly Nursery Convertible Crib Baby Changing Pad – 27.5 X 15.5 Baby changing pad 28 x 16 Baby changing pad 27 x 15
Buy On Amazon
Fit Baby changing pad 27 x 16 dresser or table/
It is a perfect fit for the IKEA changing table whereas other standard size pads are too long, though it is only 1 inch thick and could have been cheaper.
This will fit most custom sized changing table.
Babies R Us Bassinet Pad – Baby Changing Pad 27 x 14
Buy On Amazon
By Summer Infant
An alternative as a changing pad for IKEA changing table.
Best Disposable Changing Pad
NorthShore Premium Changing Pads – Baby Changing Pad 17 x 24 & Baby Changing Pad 23 x 36
Buy On Amazon
Multi-purpose disposable underpad and it is Made in USA.
It is absorbent and the back is waterproof. Perfect size for changing anywhere, it is much softer on top than other ultra-thin pads.
Probably the best disposable changing pad at home or away, you simply throw the mat and diaper away afterward.
You can fold it easily inside your purse or diaper bag.
Tips to help you attach changing pad to a dresser
Now that you have purchased the baby changing pad, the biggest challenge you will face is when you will try to attach that changing pad to your dresser.
Here are some of the tips that will help you arrange a baby changing pad on the top of your dresser or wherever else you require:
- You can use the baby changing pads that come with the sticky bottom.
They are a great choice for you if you are constantly on travel with your baby as they can easily stick to any surface as long as it is smooth and solid.
All you need to do is to peel off the cover at the bottom of the changing pad and stick it carefully to the surface.
Once you have arranged the pad on the top of the dresser, press it strongly for a few seconds so it can firmly attach to the surface.
However, there is one thing that you must keep in mind about these stick-on baby changing pads and that is the glue of these pads wear off after a few days so you might have to get another one.
- Another tip that you can use to hold the baby changing pad to the dresser-top is to use the non-skid mats.
These mats are basically used for the purpose of controlling the rugs on the marble floors.
All you need to do is to cut the non-skid mat according to the size of the baby changing pad and the dresser.
Next, you need to stick the non-skid mat to the dresser-top. After that, things become a little easy as all you need to do is to attach the baby changing pad to the non-skid mat.
- Certain type of nylon straps is available in the market that is basically used for the purpose of securing the baby on the baby changing table or inside the prams.
So if you are having trouble in arranging the baby changing pad on the dresser-top then all you need to do is to buy a set of these straps, arrange the baby changing pad on the top of the dresser and then tie it with the dresser through these straps.
You can arrange the straps in two different ways i.e. you can tie two different straps at both ends of the pad or you can cross-tie the pad with the dresser.
- Another method to secure the baby changing pad to the dresser is to stick it on with the help of a Velcro.
Velcro is usually available in the form of large sticky pieces.
If you are not able to find it in general stores then it will definitely be available in the stores that sell sewing supply.
Now all you need to do is to take four pieces of Velcro and attach it to each corner of the baby changing pad.
Just keep in mind to arrange the pad in such a way that Velcro could remain aligned after the pad is placed on the dresser.
How to use the baby changing pad during travel?
Baby changing pad is not only beneficial at home but it proves to be a marvelous invention when you are on the go with the baby.
If you are traveling and suddenly you feel a certain smell coming out of your baby’s diaper then definitely you have to make a stop at any nearest place and change your baby’s diaper.
In such circumstances, there are certain things that you need to keep in mind:
- Do bring the largest size of baby changing pad that you can find. This will protect your baby from all the germs and bacteria lingering in the strange places or public toilets.
- Always keep disinfectant wipes with you. These will come in handy when you will be changing your baby’s diaper at a public toilet. You must wipe the place with these wipes before putting your baby’s changing pad on the changing table or any other surface in order to make sure the surface is properly cleaned.
- Always keep some extra plastic bags with you before going on a trip because if there is no trashcan in the vicinity then you can easily dispose off your baby’s diaper by wrapping it in a plastic bag.
- Always keep an anti-bacterial hand-wash with you so you can easily wash your and your baby’s hands after the diaper change.
I hope all the options and tips provided in this article, will help you in selecting the best baby changing pad for your baby.
At this point, if you are unable to make up your mind then I would like you to do further market research, assess the prices, read customer reviews to analyze the quality and choose the one that is best for your baby. After all, you can’t put a price on your angel’s health & comfort.